While you never expect the worst to happen, there are others looking to take your boat and equipment. Here are some precautions to protect yourself and your belongings.
Ways to protect your boat and things
It’s always a good idea to take some time to think about how you can protect your boat and belongings while you’re away on your fishing trip.
- One way to do this is by investing in a good-quality storage cover for your boat. This will help to keep it clean and dry while you’re gone, and will also deter thieves from targeting your boat as a possible target.
- Another way to protect your belongings is to pack them securely in waterproof bags or containers. This will help to keep them safe from the elements and any potential damage that could occur while you’re away.
- Be sure to leave a detailed list of what you’ve packed with someone you trust so that they can check on your belongings while you’re gone.
- Boat locks: They work by attaching to the hull of your boat and then locking it into place, making it difficult for anyone to move or steal your boat. Most boat locks are made from heavy-duty materials like stainless steel or aluminum, which makes them difficult to cut through. Some boat locks also come with GPS tracking devices, which can be helpful if your boat is stolen. Some locks can be attached to your outboards. If your boat is kept at a dock, this may deter theft.
- Fishing rod, tackle box and bait container locks: designed to protect your rods, reel, tackles, and baits from being stolen while you’re not using them. They work by attaching to the rod and then locking it into place, making it difficult for anyone to remove your rod without the key. They are typically made from stainless steel or aluminum, and they often come with a built-in lock and key system. Bait container locks are designed to keep your bait fresh and secure while you’re not using them.
Why boat locks are important?
Boat locks are a great way to protect your investment. They deter thieves and vandals, and can help you keep track of your boat if it is stolen. In addition, boat locks can help you comply with insurance requirements.
What kind of lock should I use?
There are many different types of boat locks on the market. The type of lock you choose will depend on your needs and budget.
Some things to consider when choosing a boat lock:
- The type of boat you have
- The level of security you need
- How easy the lock is to use
- The price
What are some other ways to protect my boat?
In addition to using a boat lock, there are other things you can do to protect your boat.
- Park in a well-lit area
- Use an alarm system
- Install security cameras
- Hide valuables
- Be aware of your surroundings
There can be thieves waiting for you to launch your boat and for you to leave. You can put a lock at the front of your trailer or get a steel cable with a lock to run through the trailer’s wheels. They might also steal your tow vehicle. For that it’s best to use the lock switch on you car handle versus using your key fob where they can copy your electronic code to have access to your car. There are also electronic devices you can buy to prevent this access to unlock your tow vehicle.
Additional: Get a tracker so if your boat is stolen you can locate it. For instance AtlasTrax has alarms and methods to track your boat. Even if your boat is at a dock behind your house, thieves can approach via kayaks or other watercraft, steal your rods and reels and even your boat. Keep your boat cabin locked and store your rods inside.
Taking steps to protect your boat can seem like a lot of work, but it is worth it. By taking some simple precautions, you can deter thieves and help keep your boat safe. If you have locks and surveillance in place, thieves may be dissuaded and target another vessel or boat trailer.
What should I do if my boat or trailer is stolen?
The first thing you should do is contact the police. Have your Vin numbers, registration and your insurance handy on your cell phone as most likely that info is at home when you need it instantly. FishVerify offers a digital wallet to have all this information on your phone. They will take a report and begin investigating the theft. In addition, you should contact your insurance company and let them know what happened. They will likely need a copy of the police report in order to process your claim.
Don’t let a boat theft ruin your fishing trip. Take the time to protect your boat, and be prepared in case the worst happens. Share your experience with boat theft prevention in the comments below! What has worked for you?
Thanks for reading!