Looking for a unique and eco-friendly way to get out on the water? Check out pedal kayaks! These boats are powered by pedals, so you can get moving without using any gas or electricity. This amazing invention lets you kayak with ease, without ever having to worry about getting tired from paddling.
So when you think of kayaking, you may think about kayaks where you sit inside and you use your paddle in order to move. Pedal kayaks are different – you use your legs to propel yourself, meaning you have your hands free.
Pedal kayak and its advantages
There are many advantages to using a pedal kayak.
- For one, they’re environmentally friendly because they don’t use any gas or electricity.
- They’re also very easy to operate, so you can get moving without having to worry about getting tired from paddling.
- And, since they’re powered by pedals, you can go much faster than you could with a traditional kayak.
- Wind and currents can change, a pedal kayak makes it easier to return should the conditions turn adverse.
- Some pedal kayak mechanisms allow the kayaker to pull up the underwater propulsion gear to get into shallower water.
- Plus, they’re perfect for exploring waterways and getting some exercise at the same time!
More selling points of a pedal kayak
1. Let’s say you just want to be on the water, you want to enjoy the day on the water and you want to have your hands free to maybe drink water, take a picture, check your phone, whatever you want to do. It’s amazing just to be able to kick and easily control your boat with just one hand or no hands at all. Keep going to your destination and take the pictures.
Also, if you’re an angler, having your hands available to cast at any time is amazing.
2. One of the biggest headaches when it comes to kayaking is positioning. A lot of times you want to stay in one little spot, cause you’re looking at that bird taking off or you’re looking at that fish or whatever boats are passing by. If you have the propel style system, you can stay in one position easier. You could control that boat. You’re going to be able to quickly go in reverse, go forward and maintain both positions. You can stay pretty much in the same spot.
3. Speed – You could go faster and longer by using your legs as opposed to using your arms. So why not use your muscles, your biggest muscles to propel your kayak? Not only that you are going to be able to maintain that speed longer and get to your spot faster, but also you’re going to be safer.
4. Worth the money – Look, this is not just for fishing. This is for everything. As I said, there’s nothing more relaxing, at least for me than just being on a little kayak on the water, just smelling nature and looking at nature. It’s just super relaxing and having a drive system on a kayak makes it a lot more enjoyable and safer.
5. Easy to use – People that have never been on a kayak before are able to use it to turn left or right and go fast because you don’t have to learn anything about paddling. There are super easy to use and anybody can use them. And the great thing about pedal drive kayaks is that they tend to be huge in terms of leg space. They’re super wide, and that means they’re ultra-stable. You can stand up and fish. You won’t flip for the most part.
Tips on choosing a pedal kayak
When choosing a pedal kayak, there are a few things you’ll need to consider.
- First, decide what type of water you’ll be using most often. If you plan on using it in calm waters like lakes and ponds, you’ll want to choose a kayak with a smaller hull. However, if you’re planning on using it in rougher waters like rivers and oceans, you’ll need a kayak with a larger hull. Pedal mechanisms come in fin and propeller drives.
- Second, decide how much storage space you’ll need. If you plan on taking long trips or carrying lots of gear, you’ll need a kayak with plenty of storage space.
- Finally, think about your budget. Pedal kayaks can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand, so be sure to set a budget before you start shopping.
Now that you know the advantages of pedal kayaks and how to choose the right one for your needs, it’s time to get out there and start exploring! Get a group of friends together and go for a paddle down your local river or lake. And, if you’re feeling adventurous, take your pedal kayak on a trip to the ocean! Wherever you go, you’re sure to have an amazing time.
Thanks for reading! We hope this blog post has inspired you to try out a pedal kayak for yourself. Happy paddling!